Test your taste buds with these strange beers
If regular craft beer bores you then the Strange Brew Festival is your kind of event. Hosted by Brewers Cabinet, the festival features once-only strange beers like Sushi Porter, Horchata Saison and Cucumber Kolsh. Normal brews are strictly prohibited.
“The event gives brewers who get caught up with making their flagship beers the freedom to go off the deep end,” said Charlie Johnson, brewmaster at Brewers Cabinet and mastermind behind the festival.
When Charlie worked as a brewer in Washington, a small brewery there did the same festival so he asked if he could bring the idea to Reno. Of course, they didn’t mind, so Charlie thought it would be a good start to the summer beer season in Reno. The event coincides with Dine the District so you can start out with some food, walk over to Brewers Cabinet and try out the strange beers.
Speaking of strange beers, here’s the list:
- Cucumber Kolsch
- Peanut Butter Stout
- Bubble Gum Ale
- Salty Mick Gosier
- Horchata Saison
- Jelly Donut – UC Davis Homebrew Club Beer
- Ginger Pear blondebeer
- Peppermint Pattie porterbeer
- Sunny D saisonbeer
- Mole Milk Stout
- Belgian Icky with Spices
- Wild Beer Fermented in Glass Mtns
- Sour Bock Infused with Sour Patch Candy
- Imperial Stout aged on Palo Santo
- Spearmint Pine Nut Ale
- Breakfast Beer
- Chocolate Dope
- Barrel Aged Butternut Squash & White Sage Saison aged 14 months in Pinot Grigio and Chard Barrels (sour).
- Barrel Aged Belgian Wit, aged 14 months in Pinot Noir Barrels (sour)
- Cask- Conditioned Bamberg Rauchbier with Fresh Spruce Tips
- Neapolitan Porter
- Bourbon Barrel Doppelbock
- Cranberry Kolsch
- Mole Oasis
- Sushi Porter
- Fifth Anniversary Smoked Wee Heavy Left
- Blend of Bourbon Stout and Barrel Smoked Wee with Cacao Nibs and Vanilla Bean
- German Chocolate Cake Stout with Coco Nibs and Coconut
In the future, Charlie would like the event to last two days, starting with homebrewers the first day, then professional brewers and homebrewers together on the second.
IF YOU GO
Location: The Brewer’s Cabinet (back parking lot)
Date & Time: May 3rd, 3 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Breweries Involved: The Brewer’s Cabinet, Great Basin, Silver Peak, Under the Rose, BJ’s, Brewing Lair, Brasserie, more to come!
Is there food? Yes, they will be barbecuing kielbasa and hamburgers
Price of Admission: $30 Presale and $40 Day of the Event. Purchase tickets here. Get in for $20 when you attend the River Walk Association Dine in the District event and bring proof of purchase. Purchase tickets here.
Latest posts by Mike Higdon (see all)
- Drinkable Reno sold out to The Man and it’s all your fault - July 11, 2015
- Branded Hearts Distillery is the fifth in Northern Nevada - June 3, 2015
- Virginia City Muckfest: Mining, Whiskey & Cigars 2015 - May 30, 2015
- Definitive guide to the craft beer scene at Lake Tahoe and Truckee - May 21, 2015
- Bacon, Bourbon and Brews 2015 moves to Peppermill - May 18, 2015