Seven whiskeys, seven bars, seven cards. The Great Reno Whiskey Hunt starts Friday. So let’s all drink for the kids.
The Great Reno Whiskey Hunt (#renowhiskeyhunt) gives Renoites an excuse to expand their whiskey palette for three weeks and get free entry to the Boys & Girls Club of Truckee Meadows event, Barrels & Bites. Starting Friday, Sept. 5 through Sept. 26, Reno’s whiskey lovers will explore seven specially selected spirits at seven of Reno’s top bars, snagging seven collectible cards that spell W-H-I-S-K-E-Y along the way.
Visit all seven bars and order a taster of that bar’s selected whiskey to receive that bar’s playing card. Check-in on the Yelp App to unlock a discount on the spirit, up to 50% off, at each bar. Bring all seven cards, spelling WHISKEY, to Barrels and Bites at the Peppermill Friday, Sept. 26 at 5 p.m. to receive free entry ($65 value). Bring your cards to the Yelp Reno and Drinkable Reno table to receive a raffle entry to win $350 worth of bar tabs or a bottle of Scotch.
Local artist, Scotty Roller, will donate a one-time print to the Barrels and Bites silent auction for the Great Reno Whiskey Hunt. Seven Troughs Distilling Co. will also donate a 1-liter barrel full of Recession Proof Moonshine to the silent auction that you can age into bourbon at home.
The Great Reno Whiskey Hunt encourages locals to explore something new. It’s easy to go to a bar, especially one with a large liquor selection, and order the same thing each week. Sometimes too many choices is a burden. So the Great Reno Whiskey Hunt is here not only to break that habit, but also to encourage people to attend a great charity event. So get out and drink for the kids. Responsibly.
Break it down for me
- Friday Sept. 5 – Friday, Sept. 26 (you have three weeks to spread out your responsible drinking)
- Order the selected whiskey at each participating bar
- Receive one collectible card, with one letter in the word W-H-I-S-K-E-Y, for each whiskey sampled
- Collect all seven cards on or before Sept. 26
- Bring your WHISKEY cards to Barrels & Bites, benefitting the Boys & Girls Club of the Truckee Meadows to receive FREE ENTRY (Valued at $50 in advance and $65 at the door) at the Peppermill at 5 p.m. Sept. 26.
- Once inside, bring your complete set of cards to the Yelp and Drinkable Reno table to receive your raffle ticket for the GRAND PRIZE, a package of tabs at the participating bars valued at $350! Or the second prize, a bottle of Scotch Whisky.
If your cards get a little mangled along the way, we’ll replace your set at the event so you can keep a pristine collection. Because this isn’t the first time we’re going to do this game, you might want to collect them all. Just sayin, how many letters are in Juniper…?
Bars, whiskeys and deals
- W – Heritage — Jefferson’s Reserve (Kentucky Straight Bourbon) — 50% off your first pour of Jefferson’s Reserve with check-in on Yelp
- H – Whispering Vines (both locations) — Seven Troughs Recession Proof Moonshine (Nevada moonshine) — Check-In on Yelp for the Anywhere but K & T Flight. Mix and match bourbons and whiskeys from anywhere but Kentucky and Tennessee
- I – Terrace Lounge at Peppermill — Four Roses Small Batch (Bourbon)
- S – Ceol Irish Pub — Jameson Black Barrel (Irish) — 50% off your first pour of Jameson Black Barrel or a tasting flight featuring Jameson 12 year, Jameson Black Barrel, and Jameson 18 year for $10
- K – Chapel Tavern — Nikka Coffey Grain Whisky (Japanese whisky) — 50% off Chapel’s Japanese Whisky Flight of the Month with Check-In on Yelp. Regularly $20, flight includes Hibiki Blended, Nikka Coffey Grain and Hakushu 12 year old Single Malt
- E– Lincoln Lounge — Orphan Barrel Barterhouse 20 Year (Kentucky Straight Bourbon) — 50% off your first pour of Orphan Barrel Barterhouse with check-in on Yelp
- Y – Wild River Grille (and the River Room) — The Glenlivet 15 year French Oak Reserve (Scotch) — 40% off with check-in on Yelp.