Ninkasi Brewing Co. strengthens Nevada’s craft beer diversity
Nevada’s craft beer selection continues to grow this year with the addition of Ninkasi Brewing Company. Some distributors at Morrey Distributing, Cépage Selections and Southern Wine & Spirits believe Nevada is one of the more diverse craft beer markets in the region and it’s only going to get better this year.
Starting May 5, craft beer fans will be able to find Eugene, Oregon’s Ninkasi Brewing Company offerings on the shelves and in retailers throughout Nevada. In partnership with five Nevada distributors, including Morrey Distributing in Reno and Capital Beverage in Carson City, the brewery plans to offer its 12 and 22-ounce line-up, draft beers and limited releases to Nevada.
“I think Nevada has recently really started to develop a thirst for a variety of craft beers, through the opening of new craft brewers, retailers and expanded selections throughout bars, restaurants, grocery and convenience stores,” Nikos Ridge, CEO and co-founder of Ninkasi dictated in an email. “While the overall percentage of craft consumption is still in the single digits, it is growing at a double-digit pace each year and coming from a market (Oregon) where recently craft beer overtook the total sales of ABI and Miller-Coors combined, we know what the future might look like! We are excited to be a part of the growth of the craft beer scene in Nevada!”
Craft beer represents 20-percent market share of all beer sold in Reno, said Matt Weaver, on-premise sales manager for Morrey Distributing. For comparison, in Las Vegas craft beer only represents 8-percent market share.
Jim Koch of Samuel Adams told Morrey Distributing to take over the Lagunitas contract in Reno. After increasing their sales from 6,000 to 30,000 cases per year in Reno, Lagunitas told Morrey to go after Ninkasi next. It took Matt about two years to get them into Reno but now they are finally here.
Founded in 2006 by Jamie Floyd and Nikos Ridge, Ninkasi Brewing Company continues to grow from its first batch of Total Domination IPA, to two brewhouses, a 55-barrel and a 90-barrel brewhouse, located in Eugene, Ore. Ninkasi’s Flagship beers — Total Domination IPA, Tricerahops Double IPA, Believer Double Red, Oatis Oatmeal Stout and Vanilla Oatis Oatmeal Stout — are sold throughout Oregon, Alaska, California, Idaho, Montana, Washington and Vancouver, British Columbia and now Nevada.
Ninkasi Brewing releases in Reno
Tuesday, May 6
- Craft Wine & Beer will begin selling Ninkasi Brewing bottles of Total Domination IPA, Oatis Imperial Stout, Tricerahops Double IPA, Dawn of the Red IRA, Believer Double Red Ale and Spring Reign Pale Ale
Wednesday, May 7
- Craft Wine & Beer launch party and Tap Takeover for Ninkasi Brewing, starts at 6 p.m. Nikos Ridge, Ninkasi Brewing co-founder, may be in attendance.
On tap: Total Domination IPA, Oatis Imperial Stout and Tricerahops Double IPA
- High Sierra Tap House within the Firkin and Fox will have two tap handles on Wednesday night. They will be the fist to carry them in Carson City.
Thursday, May 8
- Ole Bridge Pub Ninkasi Brewing Tap Takeover starts at 6 p.m. Nikos Ridge, Ninkasi Brewing co-founder, may be in attendance.
On tap: Total Domination, Oatis Stout Red Believer, Tricerahops, Spring Reign and the Maiden the Shade.
Friday, May 9
- Beck’s Brew House Tap Takeover at 6 p.m. Nikos Ridge, Ninkasi Brewing co-founder, may be in attendance.
Saturday, May 10
- Total Wine and More 2 p.m. – 4 p.m. Nikos Ridge, Ninkasi Brewing co-founder, will be in attendance.
Updated May 6, 4:15 p.m.: New quotes from Morrey Distributing to add context to craft distribution in Reno.